How to Write a Research Paper on Leadership
Table of Contents
- 1 Writing a Research Paper on Leadership
- 1.1 How to start
- 1.2 How to write an introduction
- 1.3 How to write a thesis statement
- 1.4 How to write body paragraphs
- 1.5 Tips on body writing
- 1.6 How to finish your research paper
- 1.7 Research paper revision
Writing a Research Paper on Leadership
- How to start
- Example of an outline
- How to write an introduction
- How to write a thesis statement
- Example of a thesis statement
- Example of an introduction
- How to write body paragraphs
- Tips on body writing
- Example of the 1st body paragraph
- Example of the 2nd body paragraph
- Example of the 3rd body paragraph
- How to finish your research paper
- Example of a conclusion
- Research paper revision
How to start
In choosing a topic for a research paper, one should know what kind of topic he or she wants to research. Leadership is a broad topic that will be good for a research paper. In this kind of topic, you can study a book that has already been published. Your research paper can be a sort of review, that way you will find resources easier. It can also be focused on leadership itself. You can include different types of leadership and other sub-topics that will help elaborate the main topic more. Before starting the research paper, an outline must be made first.
Example of an outline
The outline is needed in every research paper because it will help the essay writer organize all the ideas and make the writing understandable. So, below is the outline sample.
- Thesis statement
- Leadership: a) Definition and b) Kinds
- Learning as a Way of Leading: Lesson from the Struggle for Social Justice: a) Effectivity and b) Lesson
- Nine Learning Task: a) Effectivity and b)Lesson
How to write an introduction
An introduction will make the readers want to read the whole research paper, so it should be interesting. In the topic of leadership, the writer should include in the introduction the thesis statement. Your paper will depend on that that’s why it should be presented in the introduction. If the research paper is all about the different kinds of introduction, then the writer should mention some kinds. If the research paper is about a review of the effectiveness of a book about leadership, then the writer can give a preview of the book in your introduction. For a guide in writing a good introduction, here are some tips.
- Catchy – The best introduction is the catchiest one. A catchy introduction will capture the interest of the readers and will make them want to read the research paper until the end. Facts or quotations and saying can be used, as long as it is related to leadership. A question can also be a good introductory sentence because it will make the readers curious.
- Simple – The simpler the introduction, the more understandable it is. No need for rhetorical words and never-ending questions. It is good to put questions in the introduction, but it should not be all questions. Just be direct to the point and explain what things need explanations.
- Short – The introduction does not need to be comprised of long sentences. It should be just enough to explain the thesis statement and the idea of the whole research paper.
- State – The writer should never forget to state the thesis statement. The thesis statement is the main reason for the research paper. When it is not stated, the readers will not understand why the research is done.
- Explain – Explain in your introduction why the research is important. The importance of the paper should be revealed so as to convince the reader that your paper is validly done.
How to write a thesis statement
The thesis statement will be the focal point of your arguments. It can be one-two sentences that state what is the central topic of the research paper. The selection of the thesis statement is done by the writer and it depends on his or her point of view about the topic.
Example of a thesis statement
Is Learning as a Way of Leading: Lesson from the Struggle for Social Justice reliable?
Example of an introduction
Learning as a Way of Leading: Lesson from the Struggle for Social Justice is a book written by Stephen Preskill and Stephen Brookfield. This book aims to elaborate on the learning process of social leaders and their impact on society. Their main objective is to identify the role of learning in the leadership skills of the social leaders. The three main key points they mentioned in determining the role are as follows: genuine interest in learning, collaborative learning, and the integration of knowledge in the process of creating and social change. The mentioned key points served as their guide to discover what is learning as a way of leading.
How to write body paragraphs
The body of the paragraph should contain strong arguments that support the thesis statement. This part is the most important because it will be the longest part of your writing. The body paragraphs should contain all information needed to sustain the thesis statement and convince the readers. So, here are some tips for making body paragraphs.
Tips on body writing
- Convince with credible sources – The paper will be convincing if the writer cites information from credible sources. It can be books, journals, and/or other research papers. It is important that all the information stated has a solid basis.
- Mention important points – It is also a necessity to include all the important points in the body paragraphs so no ideas will be left behind in making the research paper.
- Be mindful – The writer should know what his or her topic is all about. The research should be done ahead of time so that the information will not be substantial.
- Elaborate properly – The topic should be elaborate properly. It should be explained clearly so that the readers will understand the main points. The idea should be stated and explained properly in a manner that will be understood in all aspects. Why, what, and how questions are necessary to answer. You should not present an idea that is not related to your topic or thesis statement.
- Focus – Making a research paper is not easy. So, in writing the body paragraphs, the focus is the key. The focus will also help the writer notice all the errors in his or her research paper.
Example of the 1st body paragraph
The main theory that they used in this book is the Transformational Leadership Theory. This theory describes the style of leadership a leader has. It also aims to create a vision that will become the inspiration of the members of society. They used this because it is the most suited theory for their topic. They also highlighted in the book that leadership is a responsibility and every member of society has the right to transformational leadership.
Example of the 2nd body paragraph
They also presented nine learning tasks where each task is elaborated in each chapter. The nine tasks allow the readers to evaluate a social leader in a socially inclusive aspect. This means the nine tasks presented do not only apply to the social leader but also to the other members of the society. They made it inclusive for all because the two authors believe that no person should be denied the capacity of being a leader because every person has leadership in their selves.
Example of the 3rd body paragraph
Another theory described in the book is Symbiotic Leadership Theory. It suggests that both the member and leader should have reciprocal effort in making the society or organization successful. It does not follow the leader-boss rule because this theory believes that supporting growth with each member of the society is important. The third mentioned theory is Servant Leadership theory, just like the other two theories, it aims at inclusivity and fairness. All three theories promote listening, learning, caring, and engaging with each other. This proves the main concept of the book, which is leading by learning.
How to finish your research paper
The conclusion will be marked as the end of your research paper. It will serve as the summary of the research paper. It will also determine if the thesis statement has been explained well. To be able to write an effective conclusion, here some tips to follow.
- Summary – Include a brief summary of all the ideas mentioned in the research paper. This way, the readers will remember the important points they have learned in the research.
- Opinion – Opinion about the topic is acceptable to be included in the conclusion. Questions like, “Does the research paper answer the thesis statement?” can also be included in the conclusion. The writer can also add a lesson or recommendation in this part.
- Put a quotation – Including a quotation related to the topic will make the conclusion look more intellectually done. It will also serve as a lesson of the research to the readers. That way, the research paper will be remembered by the readers.
- Leave a question – The writer can also have an open-ended conclusion by asking a question. After the brief summary and all the needed information to educate the readers, the conclusion can include a question. That question will make the readers be more curious about the topic.
- Make it short – The conclusion does not need to belong because it will bore the readers. It should just be short enough to explain all the ideas that need explanation, but not too short to lack in substance.
Example of a conclusion
The book is applicable to people of any age, gender, race, and nationality, etc. because it will enlighten any reader who struggles with leadership. May it be leading the society or leading your life, the tasks mentioned by Preskill and Brookfield will surely be a good help. It is also better to read every chapter of the book so you will not miss out on any point they have given.
Research paper revision
- Consult – When revising your research paper, one should consult a professional who can help in making it better. It can be a professor or someone who knows how to properly point out the errors in a research paper.
- Observe – If there is nobody who can check the work, one should know how to point out own errors in the paper. Search about how to write research papers properly and check if the right thing is done.
- Follow – Follow the basic rules in making a research paper, such as making an outline and following it. Be mindful of what you are writing, starting from the spelling, punctuation marks, and grammar. Everything has to be right so that the readers will be convinced that the research paper is reliable and credible.